Thursday, March 22, 2007

Couillard's Spice Room and Manyata

I don't know if any students follow the food industry as close as I do. Probably ones that go to cooking school, but for myself who has no access to a full working kitchen, it is hard to follow it as closely as I would like. I can read all the books about cooking that I want to, but unless I can actually do it myself, it is basically a waste of time. I'm not a 'foodie'. I find that term very derogatory towards the way I perceive food. A foodie's like good food and there is nothing wrong with that. I on the other hand, am a Chef. I not only enjoy good food, but I make it my mission to find out just how to make what I just ate.
However, all that is about to change. I was just hired to be a server at Greg Couillard's new restaurant called Manyata. After a quick chat with Greg, I also might have a job in the kitchen as well.
This is hands down, the most creative kitchen I have ever seen. Granted when I asked Greg if he dabbled in molecular gastronomy, he chuckled and told me that, "[he] actually cooks and leaves all the other stuff to the new guys." and from looking at the menu he's not bullshitting anyone. His menu is simple enough that it won't scare away the casual eater but elaborate enough to entice any food snob. This is the menu for people who want good food and want to recognize it at the same time. Your not going to pay $50 for a half portion of expensive tar-tar, here you get what you pay for. If your going to bleed out of your wallet for a meal, it will be reflected not only is the quality of the food but also the quantity.
While the section of the restaurant, Spice Room, is not open yet Manyata, the courtyard part of the restaurant, is up and running. I highly suggest anyone in the Toronto area to stop by for lunch.
Everyone needs to try the Lamb and Stilton Burger. This is a burger for people that love burgers. It's stuffed with the blue cheese and served with a medley of toppings that are almost found on your everyday burger. These are the same ingredients, but with Greg's own twist to them; a different kind of tomato other then your signature North American red and lettuce that is a bit more exotic then just a leaf from a head.The masterpieces of the kitchen don't end when dinner service is over they continue over to dessert. The pastry chefs that work in the back are geniuses when incorporating Greg's vision into the dessert. These desserts look very sexy, simple concepts but masterfully executed when presented. Just try the spice cake and we'll talk later.
Cheers!

No comments: